Thursday, January 8, 2009

We are all the Same

A while ago we read a story called "How it Feels to be Colored Me." I really enjoyed this story. It was about how a girl comes to realize that there is other color than her own. I really liked the text in this story. It had deep meaning to it.
Even though this girl was realizing that she was colored in all these hard ways, it never once got her down. Personally, I think that I would be really hurt by the things that people said to me, or the way people treated me. I don't know how she could sit there and look at the bright side of everything.
Also in the story the girl takes chances on doing things that are considered wrong. Things such as waving to white people, or talking to them. Back then, it was frowned upon for black people to even look at white people. So for her to do that it was a chance.
In the end of the story she talks about how we are all the same in different ways. Even though that is somewhat ironic, it's true. Although we might look different on the outside, we were all made from the same person, and the with the same amount of love.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

That's true, it's always best to look at the bright side of things. I'm a pretty negative person when it comes to things that i don't like. Obviously, that's most peoples first reaction. But if you try and look at the positive, it's helps a whole lot!

Jenny O said...

What I really liked about this story was how at the end she says we're all like paper bags and that we all have the same basically "junk" inside of us our bags are just a little different and i thought that was an AMAZING analogy for how we are. And I really agree with what you said about her bravery. I doubt I would have done what she did.

Brittanya said...

I never really thought of it that way. That we're all from the same person. Which is completly right.

I mean with religion and stuff, some people may argue. I honestly wonder how the heck that whites became the "dominant" culture.

Anyways. Ya, I agree. lol.