Thursday, November 13, 2008

Fitting In

Yesterday in class we were talking about a time when you didn't fit it, and as I thought about it more and more I realized there are a lot of times when I feel like that. I'm sure a lot of other people feel that way too, it's just we don't realize it until we really sit down and think about it. I believe we don't realize it because even though we hate it in the moment, in the end usually the situation works out for the better, or your benefit.

A lot of my situations I was thinking about actually brought back good memories. It brought back times when I felt like I would never fit in, and would just have to live with being unhappy. But in the end of all of those situations I opened up and was accepted.

Most of the time in the actual situation people think that they don't fit in. People get so self conscious that they make themselves feel uncomfortable; which in return makes other people feel uncomfortable and unwelcome.

Overall I think that if people just open up and not be so self conscious and shy, they wouldn't have so many situations in which they felt like they were unwelcome or didn't fit in. There would be a lot less awkward and strange moments, and a lot more fun and happy memories.

4 comments:

Marisa said...

I like this post and how it states the idea of equality. I think you should have told a little about your situation. Other than that I totally agree with your post.

Marisa

Winnie K said...

In your post, you talk about how people should open up and stop being self councious or shy. I think that this is a great saying to preach, but we all know that we don't do it.
I also dont think that opening up to people is always the best idea. Sometimes it may work, but other times, it can even cause you more distance that there was to begin with.
......YOU in this context is refering to general people.....
What if there was a shy person and all of a sudden they started talking to you BUT they came on too strong? You wouldn't be very welcoming to them. You would probably say that they are a creeper.
To qoute Fish, "People are people, they always have been and always will be."

I think that we(people), want to see the best in people and as much as you want to believe that people are accepting, you know that they are not. Thats why people don't open up.

They don't want to be rejected or hurt.

I'm not lost in the world. I'm just taking a detour. said...

I agree with this. I just moved here from Indiana and I felt like I was never going to fit in. I saw you people as the complete oposite of who I was. But when I finaly opened up my mind I made friends and started to fit in. I didn't feel like a square peg trying to be shoved in a round hole anymore.

Shauna L said...

I really like your post. You made a good point. I agree with you, if people open up and are confident with themselves, other people are going to see that and feel more welcomed.
Great Post!